Bastrop Co. Courthouse - January 22nd, 2017

The Bastrop County Courthouse is a historic Renaissance Revival style courthouse built in 1883 at 803 Pine Street in Bastrop, Texas

A three-story, stuccoed brick, structure with a copper-domed clock tower

The first courthouse was built in 1851 but burned down in 1883

City & county named for Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop (1770-1829)

Bastrop helped Moses Austin secure anglo-american colonization of TX

Three-story tan and red brick old Bastrop County Jail opened in 1892

The building served as the Bastrop County Jail from 1892-1974

The jail was remodeled in 1925 and converted to office space in 1974

2nd floor access was added after the 1974 office space conversion

West side entrance to the courthouse under the 2nd floor access walkway

More renovations and additions were made in 1990

Cpt. Burelson fought in the War of 1812 & for TX independence

East side of the courthouse looking north

Straight on view of the east side of the courthouse

A veterans memorial stands in front of the north side of the courthouse

All TX County Courthouses built before 1920 have a Confederate memorial

Maj. Joseph Sayers (1841-1929), a hometown Texas Confederate