Gillespie Co. Courthouse - August 10th, 2007

The fifth and "new" Gillespie County Courthouse was built in 1939 at Main & Adams

The fifth county courthouse is built to the left of the 4th County courthouse

Monument to Gillespie County citizens who died in WWI&II, Korea & Vietnam

A subtle reminder of the upcoming football season

The 4th 1882 Courthouse is now the Pioneer Memorial Library

Zion Lutheran, established in 1854, is at Main & Edison

The octagonal Vereins Kirche was the site of the 1st church & school in town

Across Main St. from the courthouse in the City Park known as Marktplatz

This is a 1934 built replica of the original 1847 Coffee Mill Church

Nearby is a monument to Baron Otfried Hans Freiherr von Meusebach who succeeded Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels as the commissioner general of german immigrants in Texas

He was the town founder & peacemaker with the Comanches

Grandpa Charles Nimitz acquired the original hotel in 1855

The renovated (1967) Nimitz is at the intersection of 290 & 87

The spectacular National Museum of the Pacific War is just around the corner at Austin St. & Lincoln St.