Jim Wells County Courthouse - March 15, 2024
Visit the 1912 and only Jim Wells County Courthouse ever built in Alice, TX
The county was created in 1912 with land taken from Nueces County
The courthouse was built by Atlee Ayers in the Texas Renaissance style
The cornerstone was laid July 25, 1912 to a crowd of over 2000 people
View from the southeast corner at E. 2nd and N. Cameron Streets
A memorial to county residents to perished during WWII also there
Circle around the east side to view Annex added in 1948
City named for Alice King Kleberg of the King Ranch family
A memorial to county residents to perished in Vietnam in the NE corner
View of the north side of the Jim Wells County Courthouse
Before the annexes, the east and west sides had the same entrances
Remember Jim Wells for his good and forget all his unethical behavior!
Plaque inside the courthouse annex, original entrances all locked
The first county judge of Jim Wells County was Judge Perkins