Rosenberg Fountains - February 26th, 2015

Henry Rosenberg was an immigrant from Switzerland who settled in Galveston in 1843. He became a successful businessman first in a dry-goods store. He then became involved in other business interests including banking, real estate and transportation. He became a philanthropist later in life giving to many projects in Galveston. The full extent of his philanthropy was not known until after his death. His will provided bequests to family and friends, followed by bequests to various charitable and religious causes. Allotted in his will were $30,000 each to the Galveston Orphans' Home, Grace Episcopal Church, Letitia Rosenberg Women's Home and a fund to put seventeen drinking fountains "for man and beast" around Galveston. Rosenberg's will also provided $65,000 for the construction of a building for the Galveston Young Men's Christian Association and $50,000 for erection of a heroes' monument commemorating the Texas Revolution. All of these projects were completed between 1895 and 1900. The rest of Rosenberg's estate, more than $600,000, provided for a free public library for the people of Galveston, the first free public library in the state.


Mr. Benefactor himself, in front of his library

The first library in the state of Texas

Drop by 23rd Street and Sealy for a visit

Directly across the street is First Baptish Church (of Texas?)

Celebrating 175 years last month

The 4th Building was built to last

The tree has been around awhile and would like less sidewalk

Beyond Henry's left shoulder is one of his eight remaining fountains

The 1st of 8 remaining drinking fountains of 17 built

Henry wanted water for the thirsty puppies and kitties!

The largest and most expensive fountain was restored in 1995

Originally stood in the 25th St Esplanade on the Strand's south side

Then moved to 59th & Broadway esplanade until Broadway widened in 1951

Though similar, not an inspiration for the 4th First Baptist Church

Horse trough but no puppy/kitty troughs on the backside

It's a shame the brass was removed for WWII munitions

A Gift from Henry in 1898

View in the direction our next fountain will be found

Head to 21st and Post Office to find our second of 8 fountains

The longest of the fountains stretches 16ft & equipped with running water!

Originally in the middle of 20th St and the south side of The Strand

A curving horse basin in front and people basin on the back

Puppies & Kitties leaving the Grand Opera House can get a drink on the ends

Restored in MCMXCV but actually built in 1898

Head toward Broadway on 21st (Moody) to the 1966 Courthouse to Ball St.

Find our triangular third fountain in the corner of Central Park

All fountains are a gift from Henry & some have dophins on top

The fountain was moved from the park center in 1909

Built in 1898 as all Henry fountains were

No water or brass ornamentation since WWII

Head east on Ball to the Pavilion fountain on 15th Street to a small park

This fountain originally stood in Morris Lasker Park (40th & Ball)

A nice bit of flair for the East End Historic District

The elaborately covered platform sports Henry's last initial

The park inspires visitors to write and send letters!

It takes up the corner lot and provides a miniature park for the area

No water or brass fittings for quite awhile

A Gift from Henry H in 1898 - Enjoy!

Continue down Ball St. to Adoue Park beside an Elementary School

Another gift from Henry in the same park as storm tree carvings

Built in 1898, six columns hold a dome above a drinking basin

For humans only, no separate basins for animals

Originally at 10th & Ball, moved here to the old Rosenberg School site

Moved to the old site when the new Rosenberg School was built

Look for the sixth fountain at 427 Market St., recently restored in 2013

It only exists on Google Earth as this lot is now cleared for new construction

The 7th fountain is at 21st and Seawall, in front of the Ocean Inn Motel

Another gift from Henry provided in 1898

Originally in front of the Beach Hotel on 21st & moved several times

Horse basin up front with puppy/kitty basins on the sides

Puppies/kitties probably didn't care for the sandy water

People basin on the back once had a fish-shaped faucet

Sorry pigeon, you are a 100 years too late for a cool drink

The 8th and final fountain resides in a locked community garden

The garden is between two house properties at 20th & N 1/2

Will inquire on membership to get a better view of the fountain

1898 in roman numerals provide the proof of Henry's gift

Drive by the 1902 Galveston Orphan's Home on Moody and AVe. M

The 1902 replaced the 1895 Home provided by Henry & lost in the Big storm

Mr. Dealey first arranged for Galveston orphans housing in 1878

The Galveston Orphans Home moved to a new structure in 1984

The building was purchased in 2013 and will become a museum later this year

Find the displaced sixth fountain that was at 427 Market St.

Reconstructed in 2007 but the lot it was on has been reclaimed

The fountain rests outside the Historical Foundation on 22nd Street

It is ready for a truck to drive under it and take it home

Please hurry, somewhere, there are thirsty puppies and kitties!

Some kitties like water with their dinner, LOTS OF DINNER!